By Carol Lansing,Edward D. English
- Examines altering ways to the research of medieval Europe, its periodization, and crucial themes
- Includes assurance of vital questions resembling id and the self, sexuality and gender, emotionality and ethnicity, in addition to extra conventional themes similar to financial and demographic growth; kingship; and the increase of the West
- Explores Europe’s figuring out of the broader global to put the learn of the medieval society in an international context
Read Online or Download A Companion to the Medieval World (Blackwell Companions to European History) PDF
Best european history books
There were a number of experiences in fresh many years of the medieval inquisitions, such a lot emphasizing greater social and political conditions and neglecting the function of the inquisitors themselves. during this quantity, Karen Sullivan sheds much-needed mild on those participants and divulges they had choices—both the alternative of even if to play an element within the orthodox repression of heresy and, extra often, the alternative of no matter if to technique heretics with zeal or with charity.
The Peutinger Map is still the only medieval survivor of an imperial world-mapping culture. It depicts lots of the inhabited global because it used to be recognized to the ancients, from Britain's southern beach to the farthest reaches of Alexander's conquests in India, exhibiting rivers, lakes, islands, and mountains whereas additionally naming areas and the peoples who as soon as claimed the panorama.
This 2007 booklet analyzes how West German intellectuals debated the Nazi prior and democratic way forward for their kingdom. instead of continuing occasion through occasion, it highlights the underlying matters at stake: the query of a stigmatized country and the polarized reactions to it that established German dialogue and reminiscence of the Nazi previous.
A grand, sweeping historic drama. Set in Medieval England in the course of a demanding time as a the rustic waits for the recent king to be topped. A mesmerizing, richly unique tale of intrigue and passion.
- Margins and Metropolis: Authority across the Byzantine Empire
- Real Time: Accelerating Narrative from Balzac to Zola
- Brothers and Strangers: The East European Jew in German and German Jewish Consciousness, 1800–1923
- Viking Worlds: Things, Spaces and Movement
Additional resources for A Companion to the Medieval World (Blackwell Companions to European History)
A Companion to the Medieval World (Blackwell Companions to European History) by Carol Lansing,Edward D. English